July 23, 2014

Baby Football Beanie {Tutorial}

I just love this beanie! I have seen them floating around on Pinterest from different places and I had to try it out! I am very pleased with the end result. And the best part..I am going to share with you how I did it.

Materials Needed:
Main Color (MC)-Brown yarn (I used Red Heart)
White yarn (I used Red Heart)
H-sized crochet hook
yarn needle
Abbreviations used:
MC-Master Color (in this case, brown)
ch-chain
dc-double crochet
st-stitch
sl st-slip stitch
**Note: I don’t know if this is the proper way, but when I switch colors, all I do its make a slip knot on the hook with the new color and start chaining. Then after I finish that row, I cut the previous color and tie it off on the inside to the beginning tail of the new color.
**The size used here is for an infant and would fit 0-3 months.
Row 1-Using MC, make a magic circle. Ch 3, 5 dc in ring. Sl st to join
Row 2- Ch 3, dc in same st as the ch. 2 dc in each st. Sl st to join
Row 3 – Ch 3. *2 dc in 1st st, 1 dc in next* repeat from * to end of row. Sl st to join
Row 4- Ch 3. *2 dc in 1st st, 1 dc in next 2 sts* repeat from * to end of row. Sl st to join
Row 5 (CHANGE to white) – Ch 3, dc in each st. Sl st to join
Row 6 (CHANGE back to MC) -Ch 3, dc in each st. Sl st to join
Row 7-9 – Ch 3, dc in each st. Sl st to join
Row 10 (CHANGE to white) - Ch 3, dc in each st. Sl st to join
Row 11 (CHANGE back to MC) – Ch 3, dc in each st. Sl st to join. Finish off by weaving in tail.
Laces:
The laces part is super easy. Take your yarn needle and thread it with the white yarn. *Make sure you have at least 15 inches to work with. I know it sounds like a lot, but that way you can pull it through without having to worry about it getting too tangled up. The shorter the string I used, the harder it was to make it look smooth.*
I have noted in the picture what number corresponds to where I am talking about.
1. Find the center front of your beanie. From the center, in row 6 (where you changed back to brown), count over three and place your yarn needle in from inside. Pull that through and count over 6 dc’s. Go back in after the 6th dc.
2. From the inside, go to the middle of the hat again,(between 3 and 4) and go down 1 dc pulling the yarn through from inside to out and back in.
3. For this, you will do the same as in step 1, only this time,  you are only using 4 dc’s to go around.
4. Go down as you did in Step 2
5. Go back out to 6 stitches and repeat as you did in step 1.
I hope you enjoy making this hat! As always, your comments and questions are always welcomed! Thank you for stopping by!

Comments

1. So cute!

2. tobecontinued says:

This is so cute! I will send some people over to check it out!
    Catherine
    tbc-tobecontinued.blogspot.com

3. Katie @ Little Becky Homecky says:

Thank you!! I just started following your blog!;)

4. Jessica Kielman says:

Totally adorable! My friend Erica will love this for her new baby boy!

Jessica @ Mom 4 Real

5. Katie @ Little Becky Homecky says:

Yay! I am so excited for you! All my friends have girls:( LOL..someone needs to have a boy quick!

6. Love this! My son has one that's almost exactly the same that we got as a gift. I swear, that hat gets more attention than anything! People stop us all over to comment on the hat!

7. Our Delightful Home says:

This is adorable!

~Mrs. Delightful
    ourdelightfulhome.blogspot.com

8. Teri@thefreshmancook says:

So, so cute! I'd love if you would drop by and link up to my Super Bowl Eats and Treats Party! It's not just for food! The treats can be anything, including your adorable beanie!

Hope to see you there. Thanks!!

9. this is so darling I hope you'll add this and any of your other posts to my What We Wore and Made party over at http://raegunwear.blogspot.com/search/label/WWWMW

10. Rose :: Fine Craft Guild says:

TOO COOL!!! lOVE THIS.

Thank you for sharing it on our link party. I feel honored to feature such greatness. http://www.finecraftguild.com/party/

Hope to see you again next week Wednesday if not before this!

11. This is so darling! I'm going to pass on your page to all my crocheting friends! They will love it!

12. Super cute and very timely with the SB this weekend!

13. Rachel {BubblyNatureCreations.com} says:

That is so adorable!!! This is a great present to give to any mom expecting a little boy! love it!
    I am having a link party if you want to join here: http://www.bubblynaturecreations.com/2012/02/project-party-weekend-and-printable-1.html

14. Michelle Johnnie says:

THis is super cute! I wish I knew how to crochet!!!!! I am featuring this at somedaycrafts.blogspot.com today. Grab my "featured" button.

15. Rose :: Fine Craft Guild says:

Thanks for linking this up! We're starting a new party today and look forward to seeing your entry/ies there. And, come have a look what the others have made. Good stuff!! http://www.finecraftguild.com/party/

16. Hi! Love the hat, I made one in just about 30 minutes. I am new at making baby hats. Can you tell me how I might could make this hat a little bigger? I have a couple babies I’d love to make a football hat for, but they are definitely bigger than 0/3 months. Thanks :)

• Thank you. All you would need to do is add another increase row after Row 4. Just do 2dc, 1 dc in next 3 and repeat to the end. That would make it go up to about a size 3-6 months, so if you need bigger just add another increase row. I hope that makes sense. Let me know if you need further guidance;) Thanks again!!

17. I adore this little hat and have just finished one for my new Great Grandson. Just have a question re the instructions for the “laces”. How did you secure/attach the first “lace” and, finish it off? Can’t wait to hear from you and thanks so much for this very “manly” little hat.

18. When you connect using a slip knot, what loop do you connect it with? It seems to make too big of a hole if you do it to one of the chains from the chain 3

19. Monica A says:

i loved it! just have a question. How do i make it bigger. to 0-3 and toddler. i am new to crocheting