December 21, 2014

American Girl Doll Dresser {Tutorial}

My daughter received an American Girl doll for Christmas about two years ago from her Grandma, and since then, each “gift” holiday, she gets a new outfit. (Or whenever I find one that goes with what she is doing…like Irish Dance lessons). It has gotten a bit out of control as to where to put all of the dresses and accessories and I looked online at the American Girl shop and saw they had a wardrobe in there…..for $350!!! Ummmm…no thanks! I’m sure it’s great, but for now, we’ll make our own….for less than $40.

Here’s how we did it!
The cabinet we bought from the store for $30. Then the Hubs drilled two holes in the inside of the side pieces and put a dowel rod in there as a hanging rod. We then sanded down the tops and the sides and primed it. Next, Miss M and I stenciled it using Cutting Edge Stencils that I won at a giveaway:) Love these things!! I did the purple part and the stripes, and she did the butterflies. It was super easy!

Miss M showing the stencil we used;)
Then, I took these child sized hangers, and cut them with a saw so that they would fit inside the cabinet. At first, I was a little concerned that the edges would be sharp and would poke at Miss M, but after I cut it, I realized it was just fine.
Sportin’ her German dress to celebrate the fact that we are in Germany.
Next, I hung up all of her clothes in there, added a basket, and one of her Build-A-Bear  buddies with the Irish Dancing costume on it, and it was finished. The basket holds her accessories and you’ll see the hoopskirt I made to make the doll’s dresses a bit more fancy. I might add some more storage pieces to it later as her collection grows, but for now, it is perfect!
Here’s the down and dirty:
Dresser-$30
Dowel Rod – $1.49
Paint-$4
Cutting Edge Stencil – Free
Hangers- Already had
Super cheap! And it does the exact same thing that the other one would. I am super satisfied!!

Pin It

Photobucket
Vote for me!!

Where I’m linking up

Monday Mad Skills Tutorial Link PartyMake Something Mondays CraftOManiac MondayMarket Yourself MondayA Marvelous MessInspire Me Monday Sew ChattyMade by You MondaysMore the Merrier MondayWhat’s in The Gunny Sack Serendipity & Spice Destination:CraftTuesdayShow Me What Ya GotTell Me! (Tuesdays)Tutorial Tuesday with Hope StudiosRook No. 17Anti-Procrastination TuesdaysHandmade Tuesdays{Too} cute TuesdayTerrific Tuesdays Trick or Treat Tuesday’sTuesday TimeoutWednesdayCreate and ShareWe Did It! WednesdayYour Whims WednesdayToday’s Creative BlogLook What I MadeWow Me Wednesday!Sugar and DotsSomeday CraftsFine Craft GuildHomemade by You WednesdayUncommonly YoursThursdayA Glimpse InsideSomewhat SimpleHouse of HepworthsA Crafty SoireeTransformation ThursdayFridayFriday FavsDelicately Constructed FridaysFlaunt it FridayLolly JaneFree for All FridayThe Shabby NestHandmade 52Cindy’s Romantic HomeCreation CornerPity PartyLovely Crafty WeekendFind Your Craft FridayWhipper BerryA Little Knick KnackSimply DesigningFun Stuff FridaysFeature Friday Free For AllFriday Fun PartyFabulous FridaysWeekendsShow And Tell SaturdaysSaturday SpotlightWeekend Wrapup PartySundae ScoopDIY ShowoffScout’s Sweet SundaysSunday Blog LoveIt’s OverflowingThink Pink SundaysSister Sunday Link PartyA Pinteresting {Link} PartyPinning and Singing on the WeekendTwigg StudiosSweet Talkin’ SundayWayward Weekend

Comments

1. sara @ applestone drive says:

Wow, great job. We know personally at our house how crazy the AG stuff can get. :) Glad you got it organized in such a cute way!

sara @ applestonedrive.blogspot.com

2. Katie @ Little Becky Homecky says:

Aww thanks! It really does get out of control quickly! Who knew?!

3. That is so genius! Just wanted to drop by and say thank you for being my newest follower! Have a great day :)

4. Jessica @ Stay at Home-ista says:

So cute, and I love the butterflies. My daughter has some in her room too. Now if only I could make something like that for tiny Barbie clothes:)

Jessica
    stayathomeista.com

5. How cute! My niece has recently started her American Girl Doll collection, and this would be a fantastic birthday present for her!

6. Serendipity and Spice says:

ADORABLE! I love that you cut the hangers to fit- how cute! Thanks for linking up at Manic Monday.

7. Katie @ Little Becky Homecky says:

I remember when I was younger we had something for Barbie clothes, but it was so cheaply made it fell apart like super fast! I haven't seen anything out there lately.

8. OMG this is ADORABLE!!! I love it. The hanger idea is great. I wanted one of these dolls when I was a kid and never got one :/. Your daughter is so lucky!! :)

P.S. I'm following you now too

9. ooooh… I need to file this idea for future use: I have one of these cabinets that will soon outgrow its purpose and now I know what to do with it!

10. We are starting our american girl journey! Thanks so much for sharing as I too see how these clothes are going to take over! lol

Hallie

11. Charlene@APinchofJoy says:

This is a great idea! I know two little girls who will love it! And I'm also forwarding the link to my sister in law who sews for EIGHT AG "grand dolls" and she only has three grand daughters!

12. Katie @ Little Becky Homecky says:

@ Charlene….OMGosh that's a lot!! Wow! Luckily we only have 1 right now….I don't think I could keep up with that many dolls…

13. Katie @ Pincushion Creations says:

Super cute! Great job! Love the butterfly! Thanks for linking up at {Homemade By You}

14. Jenn "Rook No. 17" says:

Thank you so much for being a part of the creative sharing at Rook No. 17! I hope we'll have the pleasure of your company and creativity at tomorrow's "A Little Birdie Told Me…"

Warmest wishes,
    Jenn

15. Tracy B. says:

That is such a great and creative idea!! You did a wonderful job, and it's so much bigger then most doll wardrobes I've seen around! Great for keeping a doll's items organized!!

16. Tracy B. says:

That's beautiful, creative, and well made!! You did a great job! Thank you for sharing!

Plus the size is larger than the doll wardrobes I've seen for sale. It must work really great for keeping the doll's items organized!!